CEREMONIAL SWEETGRASS SMUDGE STICK
Desert sage (artemesia tridentata) covers much of the high desert and plains areas of the Western States of America. As well as being burned, desert sage is often held, worn or kept with sacred objects to ward off negative influences. Native American tradition says that wherever sage is, evil spirits cannot enter.
In Native American tradition cedar is used to carry prayers to the creator. It is used to bridge the gap between heaven and earth. It also seems that the cedar tree has connections with power and the sun through many varying traditions such as Sumerian legend, Cabalistic lore and Egyptian mythology. It is often associated with breaking the misuse of power or powerful forces that may be having a negative influence.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
OPEN ALL WINDOWS AND DOORS FOR ALL NEGATIVE ENERGY HAS A PLACE TO EXIT YOUR SPACE.
- WHEN LIGHTING THE SMUDGE STICK HAVE A FIREPROOF CONTAINER UNDER AT ALL TIMES TO AVOID ANY LIT HERBS FALLING ON FLOOR OR OTHER PLACES (ABALONE SHELLS ARE MOST COMMONLY USED)
- WITH INTENTION, PRAYER OR MANTRA BEGIN THE CLEARING CEREMONY.
- START CLOCKWISE FROM THE CEILING TO FLOOR, ONCE YOUR SMUDGE STICK IS LIT AND SMOLDERING, HITTING EACH CORNER OF WINDOW, DOOR JAM AND CORNER OF HOME WITH WAVES OF THE CLEARING SMOKE. CORNERS CONTAIN MORE STAGNANT ENERGY.
- AFTER COMPLETION EXTINGUISH YOUR SMUDGE STICK INTO THE EARTH. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ACESS TO THIS, TRY EVEN TAKING A SMALL AMOUNT OF SOIL FROM A HOUSE PLANT TO COMPLETE THE CIRCLE.
FOR PERSONAL CLEARING:
ONCE SMUDGE STICK IS LIT AND SMOLDERING ( AGAIN USING A FIREPROOF CONTAINER TO AVOID LIT HERBS DROPPING)
- DIRECT THE SMOKE WAVES STARTING FROM THE ENERGY FIELD AROUND YOUR BODY, FROM THE SPACE ABOVE YOUR HEAD AND WORK YOUR WAY DOWN. SOME START FROM THE BOTTOM AND WORK THEIR WAY UP, FOR A MORE THOROUGH CLEARING.
- AFTER COMPLETION EXTINGUISH YOUR SMUDGE STICK INTO THE EARTH. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ACESS TO THIS, TRY EVEN TAKING A SMALL AMOUNT OF SOIL FROM A HOUSE PLANT TO COMPLETE THE CIRCLE OF ENERGY.